As a member-state of the European Union (EU), Portugal has to comply with its obligations, from transposing EU legislation to the national legal framework to participating in the EU institutions, at several levels, including Councils, Committees as well as working groups created within the scope of all policy areas.
The National Commission is regularly consulted by the competent national entities that represent Portugal in the aforementioned meetings, which aim at obtaining in order to issue specialized comments and contribute to the elaboration, debate and approval of European Union legislative initiatives, amendments, decisions, recommendations, measures, diagnosis, studies, reports, tools, referential documents or any other documents and initiatives concerning childhood and youth and any subjects that may impact their life, namely concerning the promotion of the rights and the protection of children and young people.
Added-value is brought by data based on concluded and ongoing processes for the protection of children and young people implemented by the 310 local commissions spread nationwide, along with the technical expertise and experience of the National Commission’s specialized professionals, who are also invited to participate in working groups, training actions and other events to debate issues that raise particularly relevant challenges to the protection of children’s rights, such as:
- 13th European Forum on the Rights of the Child - Delivering for children: towards the European strategy on the rights of the child (scheduled to September 2020)
- 12th European Forum on the Rights of the Child - Where we are and where we want to go (Brussels, April 2019)
- Expert Workshop on the Implementation of the Child Sexual Abuse Directive 2011/93/EU with regard to Background Checks and the Use of the European Criminal Records Information System ECRIS (Brussels, September 2018)
- Conference on Child-friendly Justice and Integrated Child Protection Systems – Lessons Learned from EU projects (Brussels, June 2018)
- Expert Workshop on the Implementation of the Child Sexual Abuse Directive 2011/93/EU with regard to Children with Disabilities (Brussels, January 2018)
- Expert Workshop on the Implementation of the Child Sexual Abuse Directive 2011/93/EU with regard to Children in Migration (Brussels, January 2018)
- 11th European Forum on the Rights of the Child - Children deprived of their liberty and alternatives to detention (Brussels, November 2017)