The International Relations Unit of the National Commission was established in September 2017, with a view to not only, but also:
- Ensuring the submission of opinions and the elaboration of contributions in reply to requests on matters concerning the rights of children or that produce impact on the latter, originating from the European Union, International Organizations and other European or international entities, including academic institutions and non-governmental organizations;
- Providing specialized information on matters of childhood and youth to the Cabinet of the Minister of Labor, Solidarity and Social Security whenever necessary, namely regarding the rights of the child and respective promotion and protection, within the framework of the evaluations Portugal is subject to, in compliance with its European and international commitments as State Party to United Nations and Council of Europe Conventions, Protocols and other instruments;
- Proposing and presenting applications on behalf of the National Commission to European and international funding for the development of strategic and feasible bilateral, European and international projects;
- Promoting cooperation partnerships and/or projects with European and international counterparts and international organizations, aiming at sharing information, know-how, expertise, common challenges, best practices, as well as instrumental and training resources concerning matters of childhood and youth;
- Promoting the dissemination of the Portuguese system for promoting the rights and protecting children and young people, particularly the National Commission, the local commissions for the protection of children and young people; the local commissions’ activity on promoting and protecting children in Portugal and abroad, under the Hague Convention of October 19, 1996, EU Regulations and bilateral protocols and agreements established between Portugal and third countries in order to encompass this strand;
- Representing the National Commission in national, bilateral, European and international meetings and fora, in Portugal and abroad; and
- Proposing the edition and/or the publication of international scientific and technical material within the scope of childhood and youth.
Ever since its creation, the International Relations Unit has thrived to be up to the multiple challenges it is assigned at all levels, within various frameworks.
Within the framework of the European Union
Within the framework of International Organizations
Cooperation with Portuguese Speaking Countries